The ESMES project (Energy Smart Mediterranean Schools Network) focus on the optimization of energy consumption in public schools through innovative, monitoring-based renewable energy and energy efficiency (REEE). At the same time, the project will improve the capacity of 5 public institutions in order to implement innovative energy rehabilitations.
The specific objectives of the project are:
- Increased civil society awareness and improved energy habits through the cross-border engagement of students in a sustainable use of energy resources in Jordan, Tunisia, Lebanon, Italy and Spain.
- Reduced and cleaner energy consumption in 10 public school buildings in Jordan, Tunisia, Lebanon, Italy and Spain through the introduction of cost-effective REEE solutions tailored to buildings energy loads, type&use and climatic zone.
- Enhanced capacities of national, regional and local institutions of Jordan, Tunisia, Lebanon, Italy and Spain to plan and realize improved energy rehabilitations for higher energy sustainability of public buildings through cross-border cooperation.
The main specific actions to carry out during ESMES project are:
- A school contest among 34 public schools of target areas in order to raise students’ awareness on the importance of adopting sustainable energy behaviours and indeed improve the students’ behaviour to reduce schools’ energy consumption.
- The REEE rehabilitation plans of 5 public vocational schools’ buildings with non-linear energy loads including the installation of photovoltaic energy plants.
- The REEE rehabilitation plans for 5 public schools funded by project sub-grants, one per participating country in the project. The sub-grants will allow third parties to take part of the project. Proposed rehabilitations must integrate and apply the project innovative process and include a forecast of potential impact on energy use and costs and of environmental benefits.
The partners involve in the ESMES project are:
|Istituto per la Cooperazione Universitaria Onlus (ICU)||Italy|
|German Jordanian University (GJU)||Jordan|
|Municipality of Alcamo (Alcamo)||Italy|
|Consorci de la Ribera (CRIB)||Spain|
|National Agency for Energy Conservation (ANME)||Tunisia|
|Lebanese Centre for Energy Conservation (LCEC)||Lebanon|
Data Acquisition Systems for ESMES participating schools. The legal procedure terms of reference (TORs) are attached to the following LINK
ESMES project is a 36 months initiative funded by EC with ENI CBC MED programme.